Re: Application indicators in gnome shell

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 23:52, Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, the notification area only allows for windows to exist, pretty much
>> in vacuum.  So there is no way for them to communicate amongst each
>> other to create something like a menu bar.  There are other issues with
>> the notification area spec, but that's one of the key ones.
>>

> Other notification-area applets seem to do the same thing, ie, a menu with
> contents that vary based on conditions.
>
> To be clear, I'm not suggesting that individual libindicate applications
> create notification icons. I'm suggesting that the indicator applet itself
> should be a notification icon.

Try as I might, the only limitation I can think of for the indicator applet
itself being a notification-tray element is that the notification tray
doesn't allow the user to decide precisely where in the tray the indicator
would show up, and that it would neccesarily have to be at the same location
on the panel as the rest of the notification icons.

But if that sacrifice let the indicator applet exist as a reference
implementation for gnome, kde, xfce, and any other desktop environment that
supported the baseline notification standard, and consequently allowed
anyone with that minimal level of support to get support for everything the
indicator protocol specifies, it sounds like a net win to me.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-