Re: Lucid theme - window controls location

* David Balch (david@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 18:58, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If it was part of the new theme and it was just a matter of going to
> > appearance and flipping to another theme or customising to the way
> > you like them then I haven't got a big problem with it
>
> Same here, but that would go against SABDFL's plans, in that "A
> guiding principle in Ayatana is to *reduce* customisation, not
> increase it." - which I agree with, when the reductions/other changes
> are shown to provide benefits beyond their cost.
>
> At the moment, the window control placement and order seem to be
> costing a lot of time and goodwill, without any clear benefits :-(

I take the concept of themes as a controlled form of customisation,
so it would seem the right place to put customisation.

I think what this type of discussion shows is that people do have
different preferences and IMHO that's why some customisation
needs to remain.

The other problem is that many of us use a few different GNOME
installations on a day to day basis, under different distributions (or
even Operating systems) and having one machine that has its buttons in
a different position to the others is maddening - there is no way to
get used to where things will be; we need to be able to customise
to get some form of consistency.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /