Re: Fwd: Open Letter: The issues with client-side-window-decorations

Le mardi 08 juin 2010 à 23:59 -0600, Jeremy Nickurak a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 23:47, Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         Likewise, the best solution to client-dictated titlebar
>         objects is for the application to speak a protocol, to which
>         the window manager can decide to draw the appropriate object,
>         where it wants.
>

> Put another way, the clients have no more business drawing window
> decorations than indicator-sound-service has drawing the indicator
> applet, much less the panel.

Completely agree. It should be a dbus-based protocol, perhaps also
using dbusmenu. And the decorator should have the freedom to ignore
windicator signals completely if it wants, because no application
should *depend* on having window indicators being shown, just like
no windowed application should depend on having an icon on the
notification area.

In my opinion, CSD will destroy the only point of *ensured* visual
consistency among windowed applications, and bring to titlebars
all the inconsistency potential we currently have in the
notification area.