Re: Lock Screen / Guest Session / Switch From / Log Out / Suspend / Hibernate / Shut Down

On Saturday 19,June,2010 04:17 PM, Kristoffer Lundén wrote:
> Re: Suspend/Hibernate - is it possible, technically, to do both? If so,
> the session could be saved to both memory and swap, and if the power
> remains, it could wake up from suspend, but if the power has gone away,
> it could boot from hibernate, with loss of data or session. I seem to
> recall, vaguely, that Macs do something like that, but it may be that it
> saves to hibernate if power goes low or something. Or I may just have
> dreamed it. :)

It's pm-suspend-hybrid on Ubuntu. If I recall correctly, it didn't work
correctly for all machines. Also, this method of sleeping is slow, as it needs
to write things to the disk first prior to sleeping. The main reason I currently
use suspend instead of hibernate all the time is because of the (relatively)
long time it takes for a machine to fully hibernate, even when using TuxOnIce,
which is much faster than the default method. I believe suspend-hybrid isn't
ready for consumption just yet.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin