Re: unity and notifications

I like it alot. I've grown quite fond of the Android notifications and
feel they solve the notification problem better than both Windows and
the current Notify OSD bubbles (which have none the less made great
progress in unifying notifications on Ubuntu).

I'll assume that once the notification text fades there is a menu
indicator that can retrieve (at least some) past messages, and launch
the app used to view them. Going along Android lines a click on the
indicator could bring up a full-screen notification window (at the
user's convenience) and be easily dismissed or used to launch an email
or IM application for instance.

I believe this indicator would work great both for a mouse (click the
indicator) or with a touch gesture from the top of the screen (as on
Android).

For any notification that was truely not worth keeping around it could
"fade" from the collapsed notification window after 5 seconds or so
(never to be seen again or missed) or be clicked to dismiss if the
user is curious and opens the notification window shortly after the
notification to see what they missed. Apps would either tag their
notifications to persist for long periods or to fade almost
immediately (and of course the notification your gif illustrates fades
the same way as the current Notify OSD bubbles).