Re: unity and notifications

On 20 September 2010 18:25, Luke Benstead wrote:

> I can only think of two options to display notifications while trying not
> to obscure a user's workspace:
>
> a.) Don't display notifications in the working area (e.g. display them in
> the panel, Android-style)
> b.) Resize the working area to allow the notification to display (e.g.
> slide up from the bottom resizing all open windows - potentially jarring)
>
> If we are accepting we must obscure the user's working area (which isn't
> really ideal) we should allow the user to either configure the notifications
> so they don't interrupt their specific workflow, allow them to be closed
> (still not ideal; interrupting flow), or just be a little arrogant about it
> and if they don't like it they can remove them (current approach).
>
> Luke.

+1 all you said.

The last option (current approach) makes it an all-or-nothing proposition
i.e. users that don't find the default design will not benefit at all from
notifications, being forced to disable them. Being a bit more flexible
should make notifications useful to more people and a smoother experience to
those who can use them.