Re: unity and notifications

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 19:00, Diego Moya <turingt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20 September 2010 18:25, Luke Benstead wrote:
>

>> I can only think of two options to display notifications while trying not
>> to obscure a user's workspace:
>>
>> a.) Don't display notifications in the working area (e.g. display them in
>> the panel, Android-style)
>> b.) Resize the working area to allow the notification to display (e.g.
>> slide up from the bottom resizing all open windows - potentially jarring)
>>
>> If we are accepting we must obscure the user's working area (which isn't
>> really ideal) we should allow the user to either configure the notifications
>> so they don't interrupt their specific workflow, allow them to be closed
>> (still not ideal; interrupting flow), or just be a little arrogant about it
>> and if they don't like it they can remove them (current approach).
>>

>> Luke.
>>

> +1 all you said.
>
> The last option (current approach) makes it an all-or-nothing proposition
> i.e. users that don't find the default design will not benefit at all from
> notifications, being forced to disable them. Being a bit more flexible
> should make notifications useful to more people and a smoother experience to
> those who can use them.

The need for flexibility in such a straightforward application would be a
clear trait of poor design or poor implementation.

I think the design of our pretty bubbles is good, implementation not yet
complete and i have only one flaw to comment on:
Notify only!
ATM the bubbles don't only notify, they also relay complete IM messages..
that is an abuse by Empathy, which must be stopped IMO.