Re: Design problems in general

On 03/16/2011 02:59 PM, Lee Hyde wrote:
On 16/03/11 13:01, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
If you are not under too tight constraints, the questionshouldn't be
how something is being done, not even how users would like to do it, but
rather: how should they do it?

I thoroughly disagree with this assessment of UI/X design for the
following reasons:

     1. It flies in the face of Ubuntu's "Linux for Humans" motto

     2. There is a risk of over-intellectualising UI/X design

IMHO an important point. I use Linux because it let's me the choice how to do a thing and how the user interface should look and behave. And I assume I'm not the only one seeing it that way.

Regarding that, the first step in Unity is a huge step backwards. e.g. I really miss the the ability to configure the Gnome panel any way I want to.

So please keep that in mind and let's hope, that the next step is again a big step forward. (as it is regarding the visual design by now, but usability and reconfigurability have to be improved.)