Re: Fwd: Re: Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Niklas Rosenqvist
<niklas.s.rosenqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ed Lin proposed several solutions to the global menu "problem" in the
> ayatana thread "Thoughts on Unity design". But one thing that people tend to
> forget when talking about removing the global menu an/or the top panel.
> If we remove the top panel where would we put the app indicators? Since they
> are supposed to behave like nifty, easy accessible, little applications they
> completely loose their functionality if they should be hidden. If this could
> be solved with a good solution then there would really be nothing that
> prevents removing the top panel. Maybe by having a bottom-panel which
> reveals when the cursor is at the bottom of the screen?

Hi!
Here's a link to said email: https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg05848.html

This might be of interest:
http://pastehtml.com/view/1e1uiox.html#mozTocId309447
about top vs bottom bar and an idea how to make the info area always
visible without having it take up any space.

This design doesn't have a sidebar/launcher. I'd really favor putting
the clock and whatever indicators need to be visible all the time into
the sidebar. As mentioned this would mean that the autohide of the
launcher needs to be disabled by default. Not really a trade-off given
the wide-screen nature of netbooks and tablets. In fact I'd argue for
disabling autohide by default regardless of whether the top panel is
going to be removed or not. For new users it the launcher would be
more discoverable, less confusing, for everyone it would be faster to
access.