Re: Ideas for Unity Design Tweaks

On,  29.04.2011, 17:03 +0200 Ed Lin wrote about toggling titlebar/menu
for all windows:
> There are several problems with this:
>
> Drag-click on a menu: on current menus, even with the firefox button
> one can press the mouse, the menu appears, move the mouse over desired
> entry, release. This is quicker than click, move, click again.
> Even if you don't do that, this is a very common user case: you try to
> hit a menu entry (top level i.e. File, Edit..) only to realize you
> missed, you don't release yet but simple move the presses cursor over
> the correct entry. This can't be discerned from a horizontal title-bar
> drag.

Three possible solutions:
(a) Get rid of Drag-click (that wouldn't be the first time where click
amount increase in Unity... ;-) )
(b) Reserve space in the title-bar just for dragging the window. E.g. a
fourth button (maybe with cross-arrows as symbol) or even a bigger area.

> Second problem: this will result in flickering or a lot of GUI noise
> so to speak. This isn't only an aesthetic issue.

I don't see why this should be an issue. If you hover launcher icons,
you got GUI flicker as well, the info balloons. This is somehow
consistent, of your mouse crosses an interactive element, you got
information about interacting possibilities.

> Third: people still don't know when to use single and when to use
> double-click. They'll try to double click on a menu only to end up
> maximizing the window.

I don't think that is a real problem. Doubleclick is just for Icons in
nautilus, that's all.