Re: Dash search vs Alt+F2 in 11.10

2011/9/27 James Jenner <james.g.jenner@xxxxxxxxx>

> Not a big fan of using something like ~ or $ or # in a lens either.

That was my suggestion but it appears it keeps getting misunderstood. You'd
*never* have to type such strange symbols in the dash. That's insane.

What I suggested is adding a keyboard *shortcut* that changes from Alt-F1
mode to Alt-F2 mode and vice versa. A key like ~, ! or . could work here, as
they don't appear in application names (gnome-do uses . (dot), IIRC). These
are merely suggestions.

Juan suggest  Control+Enter to interpret input as a terminal command. That's
even better! No need for a toggle, either mode is directly accessible.

Another suggestion: add a 5th tab-stop for the Alt-F2 mode. Right now you
can use tab to change between four locations (lens?): 'applications',
'documents', etc. Add a 5th stop and the goal is achieved.

What's the rationale for this suggestion? It's that we are currently stuck
with two distinct dash modes (Alt-F1 and Alt-F2) that:
(a) look identical
(b) behave differently, and
(c) and are mutually exclusive (once you enter Alt-F2 you can never move
back to Alt-F1 without closing and reopening the dash).

This can be improved. This should be improved.