Re: Overlay scrollbars

2011/10/7 Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx>

> On 7 October 2011 14:25, nick rundy <nrundy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > to 11.04), I have always HATED how hard it is to resize windows in
> ubuntu.
> > So I turned to the grabber  because it was the only way to reliably get a
>
> It's really easy to resize windows in Ubuntu. Hold alt and middleclick
> anywhere to resize in any direction. You don't need to hit the window
> border at all.

I absolutely agree, but try doing that on a laptop touchpad/clickpad without
a physical middle click. It's nearly impossible to press alt, generate a
middle-click and drag your finger on the pad to resize.

Fortunately, Ubuntu has added an ever better solution for multitouch-enabled
hardware when running compiz: three finger gestures enable the "move and
resize" overlay, which offers big fat targets for all move/resize
operations. That's some great "thinking out of the box" solution to the
problem - at least as long as your laptop supports multitouch and compiz
(the majority seem to do that nowadays).

In any case, this topic is about the scrollbar vs resize border issue.
There's no reason why we shouldn't improve on that, regardless of the
existence of alternate solutions. I do believe that making the scroll arrows
more responsive to mouse proximity will help here significantly.