Re: Overlay scrollbars

Two critical bugs keep the ayatana-scrollbars from being usable in my opinion; I filed bug reports in hope that 12.04 will get the fix:

Thumb should not appear until it is clickable/grabbable

Thumb should appear INSIDE unmaximized-windows

Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 09:07:10 +1000
From: james.g.jenner@xxxxxxxxx
To: joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx
CC: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Overlay scrollbars

Regards,

James Jenner

+61 402 203 344
  james.g.jenner@xxxxxxxxx

On 8 October 2011 02:05, Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Den 07. okt. 2011 16:43, skrev gespertino@xxxxxxxxx:

With visible scrollbars you know where they are, you just move your

pointer and use them. With hidden scrollbars, you have to aim more,

and sometimes you miss.

And that is why this problem has been fixed, right? But the thing you have to aim for, has never been hidden. It's been made smaller, but not invisible. And it does not matter where on the scrollbar you place your pointer. In other words, your arguments are nearly invalid. However, I always felt that the scrollbar should occupy the entire edge of the screen. That's the way it's going to be, so it doesn't make sense to start complaining about that. To me, this really doesn't matter at all, since I've had a mouse with a scroll wheel for many years, and stopped dragging the scrollbars so many years ago that I can no longer remember when it was. But for those who do, the fix is nice. However, those who do not have these expectations of the system, tends to move the mouse to the visible scrollbars, which works well in both Natty and Oneiric. So this fix will mostly serve old-school Ubuntu users and not newcomers.

Personally I like the hidden scroll bars and how they behave in maximised windows. Being able to throw to the right and start scrolling is very nice. However for non maximised windows with a large amount of contents then it can be a pain to try and target the scroll bar (e.g. look at /bin with a small window, the target area is quite small) . I don't see a problem with how it is presented (it's easy to understand), I'm more concerned with the effort required to hit the scroll bar. I would rather have the behaviour the same for non-maximised windows and maximised windows, in that any part of the right side of the window facilitates scrolling.

Overall though I think this is a trivial matter, where you are in a view is clear, what to target is clear and it's not a frequent activity. for me I generally use either the page down/page up key, the mouse wheel or the two finger swipe (I think it's two, or is it three?). Either way I really don't think this is a big deal.

I do agree however that there is a problem with selecting the bottom right corner to resize. I do like the alt middle mouse button though, i would rather use that any day over trying to hit an edge of a window to resize (actually I use ctrl alt <num> the most now a days, far more useful).

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

James