Re: future of globalmenu

On 15. feb. 2012 18:58, supernova wrote:
Ok, but this is a little bit different problem from the one I discussed above. The problem I reported in this email could be solved by means of a switch in the Dash between "Computer" and "World", or better "Local" and "Global" search. In this way if you look for private data you choose the Local Search, otherwise che Global Search. Maybe difficult to implement, but not so stupid :) Supernova

That's how it works, except all searches in the dash are global, whereas searches in lenses can be local or global. For instance, the music lens will search your private music collection and Ubuntu One Music Store by default. You could add Spotify and other sources if you wanted to. The dash will also search your music, but will not search external sources. It is up to the scope to decide whether it should be included in the global search or not. If you look at the Applications lens, you'll see that you have Sources in the filter. You can choose to only show locally installed applications or also show applications in the software center. You could easily add another scope to include browser applications out on the web. They're just data sources. Again, searching the dash will show local apps, but never apps in USC. That's the default lenses. As I said before, lens developers can very easily choose to display results in the main dash as well as in the dedicated lens. However, if you have ten lenses installed, each containing five categories, then if the dash would show everything, you'd display 50 categories and at the very least 500 results. That would be very annoying. So though privacy to me is the most important factor, it certainly isn't the only one.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad