Re: Ubuntu, Toolkits, Precision, and the Future

An app that is written in Qt does not automatically have a particular
visual theme. Instead, Qt inherits the theme of whatever platform it's
compiled on. When I compile my Qt code on Ubuntu, it always looks like a
native GTK+ based app. I've not done it yet on Windows or Mac OS, but if I
were to compile it on either of them, it would look as native as those apps
produced by Microsoft and Apple. The problem I've seen with Qt-based apps
from the USC is that they're compiled on another platform, and the binary
is packaged for Ubuntu.

An intelligent toolkit used by a competent developer can easily be used to
produce apps that look native, and we shouldn't be excluding technoligies
because of the way some people use them. We should instead be educating
people about how they can theme their apps appropriately.

If professional developers decide they want to target their app at Ubuntu,
they're going to go to developer.ubuntu.com, because they're already
trained to go to developer.microsoft.com and developer.apple.com to learn
about how to develop for those particular platforms. If we can direct them
to documentation on how to effectively theme their app for Ubuntu, then
visual consistency shouldn't be a problem.