Re: Tweaking ubuntu interface just a little bit

On Tue 28 Feb 2012 14:38:29 GMT, nick rundy wrote:
>>>2) Not able to jump strata to the app or document you are working on

If you want to switch between applications, use the ALT+GRAVE (Alt+`) keyboard shortcut. This cycles between windows of the same application. It is one of the AWESOMEST shortcuts ever invented.

I cannot stand those dang thumbnail popups that occur on Windows 7. I do not think this will be an improvement to the situation, especially considering the ease with which they can unintentionally be triggered due to the Launcher being on the left edge of the screen (and not the bottom of the screen like Windows 7).

>>>3) super W keys add more functions
>>> This is the best way to select running apps in ubuntu but I think it
>>> lacks functionality i think it should have ability to Colas running apps
>>> it will help users organize there running apps better

A bug report already exists for this. So far no movement on it, so have to wait and see if it gets addressed.

> [...]
>
> I did a little research and came to an conclusion that ubuntu like
> every thing else needs to be improved and perfected
>
> Research was done in a small office (with the personnel of 16) only one
> had experience with linux, every one agreed that ubuntu looks
> impressive, but after some time they all agreed that there are some
> minor tweaks that needs to be changed.
>
> Here is research results and the consensus that reached:
>
> 1) Hard to rate music
>
> I asked them to rate music, the average time was 16.3 seconds with
> banshee running when it was off the time ruffly rose by 10 seconds, they
> all agreed that it is to hard and keeps the users from enjoying the
> music so what i propose:
>
> ,,adding rating bar in ubuntu panel and you can even add music search
> bar”
> example
> http://i.imgur.com/2q6Mq.jpg
> or
> http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9309/screenshotat20120228161.png
>
> 2) Not able to jump strata to the app or document you are working on
> example :
> http://i.imgur.com/qr3L4.png
> or
> http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9309/screenshotat20120228161.png
>
> Here you can see there are two documents opened, but you can not chose
> the second document directly instead you get this animation and this
> screen
>
> http://i.imgur.com/MlXjd.jpg
> or
> http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9309/screenshotat20120228161.png
>
> This is not bad but when you are doing work and time is money, you want
> to do your work fast so i recommend adding thumbnails like windows 7
> does, it will be more practical and faster to jump in for windows users
>
> example
> http://i.imgur.com/jQCNg.png
> or
> http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9309/screenshotat20120228161.png
>
> 3) super W keys add more functions
>
> This is the best way to select running apps in ubuntu but I think it
> lacks functionality i think it should have ability to Colas running apps
> it will help users organize there running apps better
> example
>
> http://i.imgur.com/aKQWE.jpg
> or
> http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9309/screenshotat20120228161.png
>
> 4) Themas, hard to get themes
>
> When we are talking about average user they will have ruff time getting
> new themas in ubuntu so i recommend adding more themas in customize
> appearance
>
> Thank you for
> your time, and thanks everyone who participated in this project
> --
> This message was sent from Launchpad by
> Levan Chelidze (https://launchpad.net/~levanchelidze)
> to each member of the Ayatana Discussion team using the "Contact this team"
> link on the Ayatana Discussion team page

I like Windows 7 previews, and do find them useful. There is an option in CCSM to add window previews, but this only works on maximised windows, and shows only one window per application. Maybe this could be improved to add similar functionality?