Re: "run command" in Dash

> I don't think so...there is enough space and this is why ALT+F2 isn't
> used as many times as the dash...

Because most people, even power users, launch applications directly
rather than by running commands. This has always been true in Ubuntu.
Most people used the Applications menu rather than the run command
dialog.

> Meta, [command name] to run a command in the future...
> I saved a finger...

This is even worse. we should display commands in the normal, end-user
dash, with no distinction between the two at all? This could easily
end up flat-out dangerous.

It seems to me you're confused as to what the Run Command Dialog is
useful for. It's not intended to launch applications, as we already
have the Dash for that. The RCD is better for when you need to run a
quick command, and don't care about the output.

If I want to open Firefox, I'll use the Dash. It's fastest and
easiest. I _won't_ use Alt+F2 and enter "firefox"
If I want to list the devices attached to my PC, I'll use lspci in a
terminal window. There isn't a fast GUI application for this, so I'll
use a _command_, and I need to see the output, so I use the terminal.
If I want to file a bug, I'll use Alt+F2 and use "ubuntu-bug" I don't
care what the command outputs, and there isn't a GUI equivalent.

Integrating the Atl+F2 functionality into the Dash because you want to
access applications faster is a bad idea. Just use the Dash.

--
Ian Santopietro

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast
 Ofer middangeard monnum sended"