Re: design, give a suitable direction forward

On 05/11/2012 11:39 PM, Gregory Merchan wrote:
>  Dash button in the corner would solve a lot but as I understand, the close
>  button in the top left corner has been a design goal practically from the
>  start?
Really? That's very strange. I don't know why that button should be
given such an important place on the screen. In my own private
designs, I've even eliminated it.

From another mail, I see you refer to the close button.

The window buttons are on the left, to allow merging of titlebar and top panel for maximized windows without having to move the indicator-menus.

Within the group of window buttons, the close button is deemed the most important. Putting it left makes it the easiest target, if the window is maximized, as it sits in the corner, then.

I guess there's also the underlying assumption that the majority of users tend to use the close button, not a shortcut (or the HUD).

With all that in mind, would you still want to eliminate it, or move it somewhere else?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/