Re: Simplifying the interaction of Unity Dash

I have never used OS X, so I can not comment about it.

I have always thought that it was easier to navigate the application
menu from the Gnome 2
when compared to windows messy starting menu where applications were
everywhere and could easily grow to an unusable state. So I don't
think the messy windows menu is a good point to start.

Phone/desktop OS are not the best models for a desktop OS. For
example, windows is receiving a very harsh criticism for trying to
create a weird hybrid. Moreover I also use an Android phone. My phone
uses Go Launcher because it has nice folders that I can use to
categorize my applications. It is much faster to see all the
categories in one screen and from there open the right folder than to
move around many pages of apps. People that I know that use iOS also
and that have many apps also tend to categorize them in different
pages for different categories. So they have the games page(s), the
media page, the Internet page, etc. The same happen with the Android
users I know that don't use a launcher with good folder support.
Finally good folder support is one of the major features in Android
4.0 default launcher. Hence Android and iOS do have support for
categorization, they only don't have default categories. The user is
considered responsible for the categorization.

What Linux system do (up to now, as Gnome is moving away from it) is
to give the user some predefined categories. I think this is good, it
is a starting point which is naturally useful as a desktop usually
have many more applications installed than in a phone.

Now, I would really like to hear the *reasoning* against having
default categories. Why it is preferable to let the burden to the user
do all the job for each new applications he/she installs (and all the
installed applications that come by default). Sure, it is impossible
to find a good categorization that fits everyone. But we can find a
reasonable initial one. The current one is good enough for me.

Another nice question is what to do with shared computers. User A
installed application X and categorized it in his W category. What
happens to user B? He might not have W category. He might think that
the best category is Z not W?

best,

Paulo