Re: web apps and the launcher [was: webapps and the sound menu]

On Jan 10, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Yann Brelière <yannbreliere@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Like Jonathan said, I think Jeremy Bicha's suggestions were good: I like the idea of having additional integration for my mails, music, etc. But I don't want to clutter my launcher just because I have a tab open.

Why not? What about the icon at the bottom of your launcher bothers you? Do you think that your opinion is a reflection of the general case? I'm curious, because never has a launcher icon caused me a second thought.

Designers (hopefully) reading this thread, what has testing revealed here? Are people generally territorial over their launchers?

> Visiting a page shouldn't open a launcher item, but opening it from the launcher explicitly could launch an independent chrome-less browser window. There might be other suggestions for integration with the launcher, but currently, it's painful.

How do you propose getting that icon on the launcher in the first place if it doesn't appear when you open a tab? There seems to be a bit of a chicken-egg problem here, or could you elaborate on how you see this behavior working.

> If I could add/remove a launcher for GMail (currently, removing the launcher icon closes the tab, it's very frustrating), it would be great. But now, it's all or nothing. I can't have GMail's dektop notifications without having the launcher icon always visible. I can't get notifications and soundmenu integration for Grooveshark without having an icon popping in the launcher each time I open it.

This is a good bug, thank you.

> I pin my GMail, G+, calendar, etc as app tabs in Firefox because it allows me to keep them open and always visible without taking too much space in the tabs strip. So even though I would love better desktop integration for these, I don't use it, as it has the opposite effect: taking a lot of space somewhere else.
>
> > having items bob in and out of the Launcher just because you're currently on a particular Web site is asinine.
>
> About the main topic of the sound menu, I agree with everything mpt said: if a youtube tab is open (either by mistake or because I'm watching one), it should be controllable and visible in the soundmenu.
>

> Yann

My conclusions of your criticisms are essentially that the launcher behavior is where most of your complaints wrt webapps are from. you want the other integration points, but you feel a territorialism over launcher real estate. You feel as though maybe we're invoking imminent domain on you. This seems like an easy fix. Do you code?