Re: Looking for ways to make Ubuntu Unity work better with VMware Unity

On 02/17/2012 06:21 PM, Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
Il 17 febbraio 2012 22:01, Ryan Beasley<rbeasley@xxxxxxxxxx>  ha scritto:
On 02/16/2012 08:29 PM, Ted Gould wrote:
Three questions:
    • When one toggles the GSettings key, will already running applications
pick up the change and adjust accordingly, or is this evaluated only at app
launch?

Change will be applied to all the running applications (actually to
the running decorators).

    • What happens when windows are maximized?  With LIM enabled, do
maximized windows retain their titlebar (and integrated menus), or would the
titlebar vanish (as is the case today)?

No, they'll lose the decoration.

    • Will LIM be equally available in the Unity 2D environment?

Sure.

Dig.

Okay, so the one thing not addressed (as it affects VMware's Unity) by toggling LIM is loss of decoration when a window is maximized.

  • Unity 2D/Metacity
· Sorta covered by gconf:/apps/metacity/general/show_maximized_titlebars. · Not so nice behavior observed if toggling setting while a window is already maximized. Is this a bug? I can look into this. (When disabling, titlebar area isn't redrawn & buttons no longer work. When enabling, the titlebar doesn't appear.)

  • Unity 3D/Compiz+plugin(?)
    · ?????
· You mentioned PanelMenuView in a previous message. Does this component relate to window decoration, or only what shows up in the panel? (I'm assuming the latter.) I gotta bail for the weekend, but I'll check out the unity sources from bzr next week. · I can attempt patch sets locally, test 'em out, and publish, but any clues for related components, comparable existing schema to model after, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

  - Ryan