wintermute-devel team mailing list archive

Re: Wintermute and the Web

On 12 September 2011 15:44, Adrian Borucki <gentoolx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12 September 2011 02:17, SII <dante.ashton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I thought D-Bus was only good for outright notification and limited
>> control?
>

> D-Bus is good not only for control and notification but also transmitting
> data. Its key advantages are good encapsulation and speed (it uses binary
> protocol).
>

>> If everything works as planned, significant modification will have to be
>> done...not only making controls of the application usable to Wintermute, but
>> also removing the little things that don't really work very well within a
>> natural language enviroment, like titlebars and buttons...
>>

> One thing bothers me here: how much should we limit these "old" methods of
> window management? Imagine that somebody frequently changes application
> windows (e.g. Chromium and Kopete),

In the case of Kopete (or any IM program) the change is fairly simple; you
won't have to provide a command, I am rather hoping Wintermute can be made
smart enough to recognize current activity and manage windows as needed.

> I think it is not convenient to say (or write) command every time when you
> want to change window.

Trust me, we won't. That would be a major annoyance!

> And I think that people are rather used to mouse-centred solutions than
> keyboard ones (of course keyboard is also able to carry such tasks).

Providing everything goes as planned, neither the mouse nor keyboard would
be used! :D
Of course, the keyboard would be a fallback, and the mouse would have
limited use (not every application can be put under Winty's control; like
the GIMP, for instance)

> And one note about that is we will probably have to change behaviour of WM
> (e.g. KWin). Because tweaking WM can be expansive we will probably have to
> stick with one. Maybe we could use a tiling window manager (no decorations,
> automatic management) but then we focus on keyboard and as I said people are
> used to mouse.

I thought KWin could do tiling?
We'd be looking at fully automatic management, including opening,
maximizing, minimizing and closing.