Re: π=2 ?! (Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys)

To me it seems as if you were saying: Oh yes, at one point I just
removed Sinit from Ip2_FM_FM_FP, because it is arbitrary anyway. But in
any case I don't want people to do the same.

I didn't "remove" anything since I created this class myself. In any case, people can do the same, i.e. create a new class with the help of existing code, it will not hurt me. But I don't want somebody to put Sinit in Ip2_FM_FM_FP, since it is not the purpose of this class to handle such approach. FM_FM_FP is for granular materials (not rocks o r concrete) where contacts are points with no size and no length. I'll commit some clarifications today.

My point was stronger. If you have particles of different radius, you
will probably define contact-level "reference distance" by summing their
radii.
You can also consider the deformability of a particle under point load.
Now, with different radii, you still have a pseudo-symmetric problem, since the contact is a point. As a consequence, there is no effect of the size of particle A on the deformability of particle B. They both deform independently, this is the reason for harmonic average, wich corresponds to the sum of displacements.

Whatever you call it, it has dimension of stiffness (even you don't
imagine stiffness of balls, which I tend to do somehow).
Oh yes, you can say it is the stiffness of the ball, no problem with that. It doesn't imply anything in general concerning lengths or surface.

As soon as you define length of a particular contact (not some average
length dimension characterizing the packing -- see above), you might
define the area as well...?
Again, I don't define any contact length.

For that reason I would not want
having sum of interaction volumes equal to packing volume, since that is
in general impossible.
1/ It is possible in general. See e.g. Godard (http://www.springerlink.com/content/u25448v61117k1j5/). 2/ I don't know how the equations of mechanics can be written whithout a correct partition.

 Reasoning about 2 spheres is simpler. Length and
area. I see it is useless to continue. Howgh.

I don't know if it is useless. I feel like you have your head in your thesis now, with applications to concretes, and one specific theoretical background in mind (namely Hentz). I wanted to point out that you were perhaps overlooking other fields, and other ways of thinking (and you are overconfident in papers like the one you sent before, when I said there are no exact theories, this is because I think I know my stuff a little...). Yade is a computer code, it should give results, not impose scientific concepts. Here, you are almost saying it is not acceptable to consider a contact as a point with no length and no area. It sums up with your previous remark on "friction should not be modified", which leads me to think you might mix code design and scientific positions sometimes. I think your framework is consistent, but a large part of researches around granular materials and DEM are using different frameworks, you need to keep that in mind.

I hope it helps. :)