Re: Migrating to GitLab

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 09:56, Jerome Duriez <jerome.duriez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> let's maybe try to avoid switching from only one branch to more than
> three ?...

We have already 19 branches on github/yade/trunk, plus other branches under
personal accounts.
Limiting the number of branches is not a realistic objective, don't worry
about that. It will become more clear with concrete usage, and you will not
have to handle them all anyway.
This being said, I'm also not sure we really need that develop-master
duality.

I would propose develop+experimental for a start, with release branches as
in Anton's picture.
Very liberal config for exp, and conservative for dev (even very
conservative initially, we will see if it is too conservative).
exp will *not* merge to develop, it will diverge progressively, most
likely, but it is not an issue. It can be re-synced. No commits can be lost
since by definition a MR to exp is from somewhere.

Anton, do you have comments on MR on Gitlab interface? Do you confirm that
they are a must? Did you ever hack the API to trigger them from CLI (that
would mae Janek happy ;) )?
Thx
Bruno