Re: YADE in Geomechanics

Omer Ardic said:     (by the date of Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:58:01 +0300)

> http://arw-bled2004.scix.net/Files/acceptedpapers/materialmodelling_nato_paper.pdf
> http://www.ica1.uni-stuttgart.de/~fernando/papers/mic-mac-alonso04f.pdf
> http://www.ica1.uni-stuttgart.de/~fernando/papers/incremental05.pdf
> http://www.ucy.ac.cy/~gracm05/PROCS1/139.pdf

I have glanced at them all. This is an interesting model based on
polygons, but it's not what yade/sdec use. In yade the soil is modelled
using spheres. I will send you some articles related to this off-list.

It would be interesting to implement above plygon-based models in yade,
but it certainly cannot be a scope of your master thesis - it will
simply take much more time than just 6 months. (well maybe it is
possible, but much hard work is involved - first problem is that those
models are 2D, while yade is fully 3D).

If you want to make simulations with this polygon based models, then it
is currently not possible with yade...

> I have also the PhD thesis of Gian Antonio D'Addetta "Discrete Models for
> Cohesive Frictional Materials".

I haven't had a chance to look at this PhD thesis...