Re: Modification in Cundall damping - IMPORTANT

Damn! I'm sorry to tell that but I just double-checked the equation of
damping in PFC3D, and unless there is a typo in the PFC documentation,
PFC3D uses the same form of damping as the one that was in Yade before I
change it (i.e. independent damping of each component of forces and
moments)...

This is very strange as i'm sure that such damping can result in
oscillations around positions that are not equilibrium positions!
I've had a look in the litterature and I've found both forms of damping
depending on the authors.
I've even found some authors using the same form of damping as me... and
considering it as the usual Cundall non-viscous damping...

So I don't really know what to do now... Personnaly, I'll stick with the
equations of damping in the current (modified) form, even if it's not
the "true" Cundall damping. But it is correct to let people download
Yade and use classes named "CundallNonViscous..." if the equations
inside are perhaps not exactly the Cundall ones (I'm still trying to
find the early papers of Cundall to check this though...)?

Bruno

--
Chareyre Bruno

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau I08
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 04.56.52.86.21