Re: Online storage

Just to drop in my two cents...  I've used unison before for working with
syncing to a USB stick.  It was okay, especially when I only had a couple of
machines to think about.

I've recently been thinking about something like DropBox or Ubuntu One, but
I keep thinking that I would rather have my information in my own control. I
have some hosted servers that have enough space to handle what I would need
from Zim (I only have about 1 meg of current data -- but this is likely to
go up to up to several gig fairly quickly with some of the projects I have
started on).

Personally, I prefer a solution that implements something like sshfs or
rsync+ssh.  I've also considered the idea of using subversion or git over
ssh...but I don't know that I have a space online that would allow me to set
up the necessary version repositories.

However, while a cron job would handle most of the problem extremely well,
it wouldn't be ideal for all situations: such as laptop(s) / netbook, where
the sync really needs to happen more "on demand". That's one problem...

The other problem I've seen with more recent copies of Zim is the way the
config file is handled now.  Keeping it in ~/.config/zim has just added a
layer of complication to keeping everything in sync.  (This has "freaked" me
out a few times when I've synced my files and opened Zim, only to find that
a new notebook doesn't show up...because I'd neglected to sync the config
files) It would be nice to allow the user to specify where the configuration
directory is stored (say via a command line option)...  Why would this help?
becuase then it would be possible to keep the config info with the notebook
directories...then it's just one directory to sync, instead of trying to
remember to sync two locations.

Okay - enough of that.  Just my two cents.

George