Re: Handling of underscores in page titles

2010/1/20 Beni Cherniavsky <cben@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 15:10, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Background of this equivalence is that I found that having spaces in
>> file names is troublesome when you use various unix commandline tools.
>>
> Annoying, but quite possible.

In bash, quote the file names' variables. Should I ask on the Python
list how this can be accomplished in Zim? Can you point me to the
relevant code file and line?

>> So the file names contain an underscore.
>
> Most Zim users will not do much with the files directly anyway, so this
> sounds like the tail wagging the dog.

I have been arguing this for as long as I have been using Zim! There
are many design decisions that are based upon the idea that users are
editing the files directly. While it is nice to be able to edit the
files directly (plain text files) I do not think that this usage
scenario is so important or prevalent as to warrant all the drawbacks
these design decisions create.

> Is there is any other motivation?  Any experience whether people like (or
> don't) this equivalence?

I personally have no need for underscores in filenames, but I think
that it is a valid enough use case to support it. Especially
considering the alternative use case which features like this are
sacrificed for.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com