Re: Sending data to a running zim instance

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Jaap Karssenberg
<jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Svenn Are Bjerkem
> <svenn.bjerkem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'll try to describe the intended functionality from firefox side
>> without considering if it is possible to implement or not. I need a
>> vision to work towards and then problems will be solved as I try to
>> get there:
>> * The user select a piece of text in the browser.
>> * Right click and select a menu item 'send to zim'
>> * A widget will pop up showing the selected text as it will be sent to zim
>> * A second, empty text area will be available to put user comments or
>> tags easy to find with search.
>> * A pulldown widget will make alternative zim notebooks available
>> (remember last one used)
>> * A second pulldown widget will make alternative namespaces avaliable
>> (remember last one used)
>> * By pressing the OK button stuff is sent off to zim.
>
> This sounds a lot like the "dump" dialog in the bug report referred to
> by Dotan: https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/439878

Just checked in a "dropwindow" plugin as revision 226. Calling "zim
--plugin dropwindow" will present you with a dialog allowing content
to be inserted in a zim notebook. Try "zim --plugin dropwindow help"
for hints about what is available.

Borrowing code from the tomboy plugin to get the selected text + URL
from firefox and executing an external command, it should be almost
trivial to wrap this in an extension.