Re: mime type of zim notes

Hi Marcel and Svenn,

Obviously Jaap will have to decide as it's his project. But I'd be
very much in favour of using a different file extension for zim's
files. I see only benefits. We gain the ability to do a fast mimetype
determination and with it the ability to integrate into things like
Zeitgeist. It won't change the ability to open zim files in a plain
text editor such as vim or gedit. In fact, if anyone needs this, all
they need to do is change the default program for the mimetype (which
is easily done from Nautilus) or access from the open dialogue of the
program. I note that the mime file for zim describes zim's format as a
subset of plain text, so you would hope that anything that struggled
with the idea of text/x-zim-wiki would see text/plain and treat it as
such.

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall older versions of zim
(perhaps even back to the Perl Zim) not having the current header
information etc. that they do. Perhaps Jaap could confirm whether I'm
imagining this or not. In those days, it would obviously make sense
for them to be referred to as plain text, because that's actually all
they were. Now it's closer to file format in its own right.

Regards,
Mike