Re: Table of contents and view completed tasks

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Yu <yu_icq@xxxxxx> wrote:
> As of Zim 0.56, it ships with a "Table of Contents" plugin, that adds
> a "ToC" tab, allowing to switch between the global "Index" and a
> note-local "ToC" view.
> Sadly though, it seems to support neither
>  - switching between ToC and Index with a hotkey, nor
>  - viewing Index and ToC at the same time
> so I don't use it for normal pages in general, but for large pages it
> should do a great job.

First off let me say that I am super enthusiastic about the table of
contents plugin. I tend to have very long pages (I keep "logbooks" for
various things) and use it all the time. You kind of can view the
index and toc at the same time if you use it as a floating widget
instead of in the side pane. That's a plugin configuration option. But
I agree that the toc plugin possibly could be improved and would be
interested to learn what others think about it.

At first I thought having the toc embedded in the index tree
(underneath the node for the current page) would be best. I used the
floating widget mode for a while, but then the toc widget hides some
content of the page and also for very long pages the widget is not
large enough, so one has to scroll to see the complete table of
contents. I believe it would be best if you could see the index, table
of contents and the content page at the same time. So maybe having the
index on top in the side pane and the toc below would be an option;
however, then again for long pages scrolling would be necessary. Which
brings me back to my first idea: In the index tree by clicking on the
page the table of contents would expand as a subtree. I hope all of
this makes sense and sorry for rambling.

I believe the toc plugin should be a part of zim core or at least
enabled by default.

I filed a bug report for switching between index, toc and the main
content page with a hotkey.

Cheers,
Burkhard