Re: Bounty for folding

On 2012-11-15 09:43, jayseye wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,  J.A. -

Hans :-)

> I could draft a proposal, to be consistent with Jaap's framework for
> bounties. If that would be acceptable, then I have two questions:
>
> First, lists would be a clear choice for folding, as they can be
> nested to any depth. Headings were also mentioned in your original
> query:

Ah, indeed. Almost forgot about that.

>>  I'd really like to see the addition of a plugin that would
>> enable folding for lists and headings (both would be very welcome).
>
> To clarify then, based on your latest reply: Would folding of Headings
> be an additional feature request, with a separate bounty?

I myself don't need folding based on headings at the moment, but yes I
would be willing to support a separate bounty for that. I can imagine
that other people could use such an additional feature very well.

> Second question, for both you and Jaap: Would it be feasible to set
> milestones for implementing folding, starting with a working model?
> This could help ensure that we're "on the same page" as work
> progresses.

Communicating often and making small steps is what in my experience
always led to the best results in projects. Depending on what Jaap
prefers I think that would be a good approach. I on my part will strive
to make the time to answer any questions without making you wait too long.

> Specifically, Zim already has a built-in secondary view, which might
> be useful as a testbed: From the File menu, "Open in New Window"
> displays a work-in-progress toward multiple views. (It's read-only for
> now, though fixing that is mentioned in the docs.)
>
> That New Window might be a safe place to develop folding, while
> preserving the current main window. Once folding works as agreed in
> this testbed view, it would be straightforward to merge it into the
> right-hand pane of the main window.

Sounds like a proper safe approach to do this. Let's see what Jaap
thinks (as I don't know the code very well).

@Jaap: are there "groudrules" for doing bounties? Or do you want me to
arrange something with Marc Paul directly?

Grx HdV