Re: Ubuntu Dash and Zim txt files

On 12 December 2012 21:22, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For one the python "xdg" module implements the old spec - that is how
> I found out, zim itself can no longer tell text files apart when I
> define the glob.
>
> Then I tested the perl File::MimeInfo library (disclaimer: I wrote
> this one myself a few years back) and it has the same flaw, so it is
> not implementation specific, but really depends on how the spec works
> out for this case :(
>
> This will affect all other applications using the same libraries.
>
> Arguably these libraries should be fixed. Plus we should test what is
> implemented in KDE / xfce / ... to test we don't break any mayor
> desktop environment.

Isn't it more wise to use a different extension than .txt for the zim
markup files? I guess this has been pointed out some times in the
past? Use .zxt or .zml or .zimwiki so that .txt is reserved for pure
text files and no need to use processing overhead on file headers to
decide if it is a zim markup file or a pure text file attachment. .txt
has been around longer than zim, and I have always thought it to be a
bit 'egoistic' to grab this for a special purpose for one particular
application.

--
Svenn