Re: About priorities of tasks

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Svenn Are Bjerkem <
svenn.bjerkem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 August 2013 15:41, Klaus-Dieter Bauer <bauer.klaus.dieter@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> I'd defninitely like negative priority too. Currently I am often
>> adding !! by default, but sometimes I forget...
>>
>> As for the notation, how about something like "-!!"? Literally
>> negating the priority indicator and unlikely to clash with existing
>> notes.
>>

> Nice idea. A very important task would then become a very unimportant
> task, which is very much the truth in many cases where the user decides
> against deleting it. On the other hand, if it would be acceptable to use ?
> to lower an already existing sequence of !, then the real question mark
> would be protected.
>
> TODO Is this really an urgent task? !!!??
> TODO Wouldn't this task have an importance level of 0? !?
>
> This assumes that the user is inserting a space between the task text and
> the priority sequence.

So then they rule becomes that only "?" directly following a "!"  are
counted ?

E.g.

TODO: Check with project X ?  --> prio 0
TODO: Check with project X ? ! --> prio 1
TODO: Check with project X ? !? --> prio 0
TODO: Check with project X ? !?? --> prio -1

TODO: Some action ! - really needed ? --> prio 1
TODO: Some action !? --> prio 0
TODO: Some action !?? --> prio -1

This semantic would show that negative prios reflect the amount of
confusion there is about the action item - somehow that feels right to me -
you start with a clear prio and as the amount of confusion grows it drops
to the bottom of the list :)