Re: [Ayatana] Middle-click on indicators

On Thursday 15,April,2010 07:53 AM, Cody Russell wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 20:00 +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
>> Then how about middle click activating a "default action" of an
>> indicator?
>> Perhaps have one of the actions that are present in the menu be
>> specified by the
>> application as the default, then the indicator applet unifies this
>> into one
>> manner of interaction with the indicators to trigger these default
>> actions.
>
> I have never seen a menu that behaves like this.  As Mark said, the
> whole point of this effort was to make the panel indicators behave in
> the same way as menus (or at least very close).

Frankly speaking, I'm quite tired of this reasoning. "Menus don't do this",
"Menus don't do that". Did you also realize that menus don't have icons as
buttons? They have *text* buttons.

> We're already stretching that slightly with the inclusion of things like
> sliders and volume scrolling, but we're (hopefully!) not stretching too
> far away from the concept of a menu.  But we we should really exercise
> restraint here and not doing crazy stuff just because we can.  Just
> because middle click isn't being used doesn't mean we should start using
> it.

But we shouldn't limit ourselves to menu-like concepts alone, just for the sake
of being like menus. Otherwise let's just be menu-like all the way and get rid
of the icons in the application indicators, replacing them with text. If that
sounds stupid to you, then please give some thought to all the other menu-like
things you are attempting to emulate, or the non-menu-like things you are
attempting to remove in something that was not originally a menu, while removing
frequently used functionalities of the past solution and decreasing user
productivity just for the sake of being like menus.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)