Re: [Ayatana] OMG!Ubuntu a bane or a boon? [was]Re: The new default wallpaper

> And I'm not talking about the articles themselves, I'm talking about the
> comments since that was the rationale for the bug and the follow-up
> consolidate!
>
> If I'm to mention about the articles, did anyone verify if it was indeed
> the final wallpaper?  It might well be! But, did anyone verify? Alteast
> before consolidating all the negative comments in one place?
>
> I ask this now, because the earlier theme article lead to people
> questioning the theme changes *here* on the Ayatana mailing list and as
> we all now know its wasnt the default theme!
>
> You guys have a good platform but somehow it gets misused[by others]!
> There needs to be a sanity check somewhere. Either better fact-checked
> reporting [obviously people believe what you write] or we disregard
> those comments as the pulse of the community[until something is actually
> true].

Vish, do not generalize. There are two reasons why I agreed with you
back then but cannot do it now:

1) This time we are not talking about a PPA, but about an official
update that came from the official repositories.

2) It is past UI freeze. Like I said in my other email, if we are going
to use "it has happened before" as an argument, then the very concept
of UI freeze needs to be rewworked. Being responsible for the Manual
team, Benjamin Humphrey for example has every right to feel frustrated
when the statement:

"The user interface must be stabilized at some point, so that
documentation writers and translators can work on a fixed target that
doesn't obsolete screenshots or documentation."
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserInterfaceFreeze)

turns out to be untrue in two releases in a row.