Re: [Ayatana] SVG default wallpaper was: OMG!

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 09:46 +0100, Joseph Hughes wrote:
> Are there any technical issues I haven't considered? Performance?
> Compatibility? You could of course use a static .jpg as a fallback.

The svg specification is big... really big.

Inkscape, which is used to make most SVG files, supports _some_ of the
incomplete svg 1.2 specification. It's doing a fairly good job at
supporting static parts but falls down at SMIL animation, css and
javascript support.

You then have filter effects which Inkscape does support, but not all
svg renderers do. So blur effects and shadows and even in some cases
semi transparencies can disappear or make the entire canvas black.

So as a plan of action on this: I'd check the support of the svg
renderer in gtk, recommend inkscape for making the starters and
disapprove of any text as text.

Martin,