Re: [Ayatana] Messaging Menu and the MeMenu

Hi there ;)

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 01:54, David Hamm <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was serious when I said the design teams should work together.

Tell them on IRC, perhaps there already is crosstalk..

"I think something as intrusive as popups are only acceptable for
urgent things like disk running out of space."

So your telling me that when an indicator that you have a message shows up in the top right of the screen this presents absolutely no distraction to you?

Nobody says that. If you want no distraction at all, you turn off your external awareness as in sleep, e.g. go meditate.

Further more Of course i'm not talking about pop-ups and i wish you didn't associate the idea with such.

The tray is cool in GNOME Shell, yet some people are not interested in seeing the messages until they actually "open" the responsible service.
These people might also want those "tray-popups" to be suppressed while set to "busy".
Unfortunately we have not seen an implementation or blueprint for Presence settings in Ubuntu ever since it was scheduled a couple of releases ago...
I think Vish brought that up months ago, he mentioned something of a ToDo list with "Do Not Disturb aware FUSA", which means the Session Menu should become Presence aware.

We have been avoiding discussion about Presence in the FUSA imo, perhaps because Presence is currently living in the MeMenu and, what i don't understand today, in "Contact List".

I would assume that friends, or the people in your contact list, the people sending you a message, are more important then any current task at hand.

Unless the UI knows that i'm busy, or those "friends" know that i'm away from keyboard and don't expect me to answer immediately.
That's why i prefer "not available" to AFK for example..

But of course I could agree with you, disk space is much much more important then your contacts.

System Failure is more important than unwanted interruption.
As long as the interruption is wanted (Presence=available), i want to be notified one way or the other.