Re: [Ayatana] How to handle multi-window launcher icons

Hi David,

I'm not sure we're understanding each other here. When you mention expose there, are you talking about the same expose effect Unity does now when you click the workspace switcher? Or about the desktop spread I was proposing?

I mean expose like Compiz/MacOS expose, what Unity does already at the moment when you click on a running and focused application. That is a different thing to workspace switcher.

If you mean the latter, please bear in mind that I'm not proposing a full expose but merely a window preview, not unlike Compiz's alt+tab effect, which is much less intrusive than expose.

Ah, now I think I understand what you mean. Well, this could be eventually the hint I was talking about.

Please let's try to use more specific vocabulary:
  • Window spread: thumbnails of an app's windows, triggered when the mouse hovers over a launcher icon.
  • App expose: expose effect that happens when you click on the launcher icon of an active window.
  • General expose: expose effect that happens when you click the workspace switcher.
I wouldn't call workspace switcher "expose", it's more a zoom visual effect.

Also, can I ask if you have an alternative method to launch a second stance of a running app from the launcher?

This is an interesting corner case, thanks for pointing it out, could you tell me some applications which are meant to be working in this way? I guess in this case we could handle it via quick menu, just a thought.

Or from dragging a file to a covered window?

Is this the problem you are trying to solve with your "window spread"?

Thanks, chr