Re: [Ayatana] How to handle multi-window launcher icons

Hello Christian,

In this specific example, a solution could be that Mozilla makes the buttons to open a new window, or open a new tab, more visible. It's important to draw a line from the responsabilities of the software and the operating system, and of course weight these corner cases.

I'ts not really something specific to Mozilla or Firefox. You might want to take a screenshot of the "capture screen" app for a mockup; you need two windows for that, but once you've opened one window there is no button to open another, anywhere. You may get that case with many different apps and the launcher is no good for launching a new window in these cases, whereas the old panel launchers would serve that purpose.

I think if it's called the launcher it should always fulfill the role of launching!

I think it's something worth investigating. Thanks for share it with us.

I forgot to stress the importance of being able to close a window without focusing it! Imagine that I'm chatting about a surprise party for my girlfriend and she comes near the computer. I quickly cover the window with another and distract her. From that point, using the old task bar, I could just right-click the relevant task-bar entry and choose "close", but I can't do that with the current iteration of the launcher.

Please consider that case too.

Thanks, David.