Re: Another kind of package.

ES>> Except then you run into things that AREN'T web apps being written in a web language using a library.
ES>> PHP-GTK and PyGTK scripts, pyrus/pear packaging code, phpunit test suites
ES>> - they all want to use libraries that aren't necessarily confined to web space.

TD>> For libraries, should we have a "Program Files\Shared" type of directory?  Similar to the /usr/share on UNIX? Or Libraries?

For non-web apps, I had specified a place for common things ( see http://coapp.org/Blueprints/Packages/1._Common_Package_Blueprint )

The pattern works pretty good for shared libraries or components that are designed to be immutable.

Zend Frameworks and PEAR libraries really fall into that category.

I'd also argue shared web libraries that are not intended to be modified should install in Program Files\<publisher>\<product> like everything else.  The only down side is that it's less discoverable, nor is it likely 32-bit / 64-bit specific. (and MS in their infinite wisdom didn't give us a platform-neutral program files directory. That's gonna bite us 10-20 years from now.)

I think web libraries which are likely to be subject to some editing/modification should still go in inetpub.

Hmmm. Still gonna have to think some more.

Oh, and I was going to agree with <package>\<version> ... it means less repetition, but it's inconsistent with the layout for docs & include folder in the common package blueprint, which I patterned off of unix's way of doing it.

Arglegarble.

Garrett Serack | Open Source Software Developer | Microsoft Corporation
I don't make the software you use; I make the software you use better on Windows.