From: coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Philip Allison
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 2:38 AM
To: Geoffroy Couprie
Cc: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] Code?

(stripped who wrote what, because with the last few posts to this thread seemingly lacking any text not marked as reply, I've lost
track...)

>>> A compromise would be to have a very small bootstrapping CoApp
>>> engine with no dependencies, that downloads the necessary
>>> components, and eventually, the runtime libraries, and then runs the
>>> whole CoApp engine.

If the engine doesn't have these dependencies in the first place, we don't need yet another bootstrap.  How many levels do you want?

Yes, we will run into the need to have MSVCR## on the system very quickly once people start using the engine to install packages, but IMHO it should be because they've installed something that depends on it.  It'll have to be "packaged" as an alien, but we've already had that idea.

We don't need to bootstrap the bootstrapping bootstrap for the engine bootstrap bootstrap.  Bootstrap bootstrap bootstrap.  Just write the engine standalone - end of discussion.  Please?

Regards,
Phil