context team mailing list archive

Re: minimals for cygwin

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 20:17, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27 2010, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> do you have anything against a slight shift of timeframe?
>
> Oh no, far from it!
> In fact, the support for cygwin is only a small gain in comfort: instead of
> using mswin's first-setup, compiling my own luatex.exe and replacing it, all
> would be done by cygwin's first-setup. I didn't know, that so much work was
> needed... :(

It's not really "so much work", but it needs some special treatment in
comparison to all other platforms since it has some exe files instead
of files without any extension.

> Are you sure?  No special attention was needed in first-setup.sh and
> platform.sh. I was quite surprised, that "cp dir1/luatex dir2" copies
> "luatex.exe" under cygwin!

That's indeed nice. I'm surprised as well. But since it's not a cygwin
server, I need to change some hardcoded file names.

> I believe, that the only thing that is still needed to make cygwin work, are
> mtxrun and texlua in contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/cygwin/bin
> Then, at least mkiv should work.

I have set up some really basic support, but I'm almost sure that a
whole lot of stuff fails (if nothing else, many binaries are missing
just because the scripts "forget" about xetex.exe when they are
instructed to copy just "xetex" etc.).

You may try to run it and report how many things are still failing
(you'll probably have to test in a month again).

Mojca