Re: dhis lite

2009/4/16 Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi Knut

> >> Some sort of automated update mechanism would be nice, yes...
>
> I wasn't really thinking of automatic at this stage ... just a simple
> user interface.  Hopefully have something finished tomorrow before I
> get distracted again.

Sure - that's what I did with BitRock also - and I think it's quite
sufficient that the user does not have to go directly in and replace files
(though that is of course not to hard, having a GUI for it gives more
assurance thing won't go wrong).

 > I agree it would be nice, but mainly because there should be no need to

> > download new birt.war files very often, whereas you would like to be able
> > update dhis.war without having to download a package whcih also contains
> > birt.war if you already have that. In comparison to the wars, the lite
> > server is so small as not to matter significantly. It makes eminent sense
> > have at least dhis.war separate, but it would be even more ideal if
> people
> > would only have to download the diff with their current war, using rsynch
> or
> > similar (as mentioned before).
> > I actually developed this kind of functionality (swapping wars, changing
> > database) in BitRock last summer, but BR is very far from an ideal
> > development environment...
>
> Been thinking a bit about this.  Given that the modus-operandi of
> dhis-lite is to run with exploded wars, then theoretically it should
> be much more feasible to update a jar here and there or even just
> mirror the whole exploded directory structure (using wget).

Yes, there are definetely a couple of possibilities....but you would have to
know which files to get, which I guess can be just based on the date? And
include a Java version of wget inside dhis2lite?

BTW, should we let dhis2-lite run on port 80? Then people would just have to
go to http://localhost. The problem would be intereference with any Apache
servers on the machine (not very common), and unfortunately also with Skype
in my experience (much more likely). Letting the user specify port (but give
default 80, and suggest changing to port 82 in case of problems?).