Re: New installer available: Testers wanted

2010/3/2 Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>

> > Your check is too stringent - I think requiring 1.6.0-14 is sufficient.
>
> This is easily changed.
>

> > Pointing them to the right place for download is definitely useful. Not
> sure
> > how the automatic download would work if there is no connection? Or if
> the
> > user has Java available.
>
> The installer already does this, by opening up
> http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. Now, we could try and
> download a URL as part of the install, but it will just need to abort
> if there is no connection. If they are not online, and do not have
> Java, and we do not package it, then they will be stuffed.
>
> > The two main alternatives is to 1) use the Java installer (either
> provided
> > on a CD/USB or prompting the user to download it) or 2) to have an
> > alternative where an "unzipped" JRE is packaged with the installer and
> > placed in the DHIS folder (and probably used only for DHIS, not generally
> > available on the users machine). The latter alternative would ensure that
> > things work well and can be done silently, with the only downside being a
> > somewhat increased download (15 MB?).
>

> Seems like a pretty good alternative. But we could also use the Java
> installer in Silent mode.  Of course, there is a risk that it may fail
> (as is the case with Synergy machines) or that I will be abducted by
> Oracle covert ops.  We could package the JRE as you mention fairly
> simply.  However, I guess there would need to be some sort of variable
> that DHIS2 would know to use to access that particular JRE.  Not
> really sure about this, but having a dedicated version of Java for
> DHIS2 could result in less problems in the long run, if we just
> package everything together.
>
> I think this point again to multiple installers for multiple
> scenarios. Therefore, I would like a clear blueprint of what the
> scenarios are.
>
> 1) A postgres install with all dependencies (included JRE, include
> Postgres, BIRT, etc). The final size could be over 200 MB

Lets not put BIRT in, we have Jasper, if people want BIRT they can download
and install it separately, its quite big...

> 2) A "lite install" allowing the user to download and manually
> install, with H2. . Footprint is around 60 MB.

This sounds good to me. I am envisioning this range of downloads:

A. Cross-platform Live package

(DHIS 2 Live with H2 as we have it today, no installer)

B. Windows on-line installer

Similar to your 2. alternative.

C. Windows off-line installer.

Similar to your 1. alternative. A dedicated Java sounds like a good idea.
Can we achieve this simply by setting JAVA_HOME "temporarily" while starting
DHIS? I guess Bitrock allows for this..?

D. Linux debian package

Bob's deb as we have it today.