Re: Data model revisions

On 08/06/10 20:11, Luca Invernizzi wrote:
To be useful, both of the priority and duration fields require that
almost all tasks have been filled with a sane value for both fields,
and that takes a little bit of time and a fair amount of doubts, as
Bryce pointed out.
In my personal experience, I've stopped using priorities since I
didn't really consider them when choosing tasks and they tended to
drift toward they extremal values after a while (jogging =>  priority
2, eat dinner =>priority 1, save the cheerleder =>  1?).
A possible compatible way would be to be able to optionally prioritize
a tag, such as @CRITICAL, which would gain a flashy color or something
similar.

I mostly agree on that. I actually have the same experience with priorities. Correctly using means to you personally have decided on an "priority attribution scale" that can classify correctly every task you encounter in your life. It generally always end up wrong because the scale change "dynamically" depending on the actual set of tasks. So, of, for instance you keep up priority #³ only for matter-of-life-and-death-priority, you end up only using #2 and never #1. That rule sounded reasonable at the first time, but you finally realize that it's useless. Actually having a meaningfull priority that is not numeral or high-medium-low, but defined relatively to others is better. FOr instance, in my example it would have been better to have a priority called "Matter of life and death" and declare somewhere that its priority is higher than "Paperwork", etc.

UI-wise, we could actually propose such a system: allow the user to define its own priority scale, with its own meaningful names. It could take the form of a list of tags he could rearrange using drag & drop, for instance in a tab in the preferences. By default we could provide basic priorities: critical, important, insignificant. Don't know what kind of impact it could have on the data model, though.

Anyway, I'm sure we all agree that we should keep GTG as easy as
possible for the new/occasional users.

Oh yes, definitely.

Because of that, I think that both priority and duration should be
kept as opt-in  features: they would be good for well-organized users,
but could clutter the UI if not used correctly.

I totally agree on that.