Re: Re: Would anyone else like English comments?

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Mateusz,
>
> I just built and ran the your translator program. (Not sure why you
> call it a script, since its in C++.)
>
> Frankly, it was far less than what I was expecting. I think I detected
> a single line limitation, correct? (I'll assume so for remainder of
> email.) The single line orientation is quite limiting. I have already
> translated scores of Kicad comments from French to English using JEdit
> and babelfish at altavista, simply by using copy and paste, followed by
> manual revision. Using google could be done similarly.
>
> I'm thinking that since the important comments are not single lined, I
> don't believe your program is helpful for the most important comments.
>
> Simply doing a copy to clipboard, paste to browser, submit to
> translation service, and then cut and paste back would be the way I
> would work. And if I thought there was going to be hundreds of these
> blocks, I would probably write a JEdit plugin in Java to do some of what
> you are doing with libcurl. The actual text to translate could come
> from a "selected" block of text. JEdit can handle text block selections
> in a manor which is more advanced than some simple text editors.
>
> There are other ideas to consider, such as augmenting uncrustify to pipe
> out comments and get the translated ones back.
>
> Like much in life, it comes down to a cost vs. benefit analysis, an
> analysis which needs to consider the cut/paste alternative I mentioned.
>
> Most folks are pretty comfortable in the text editors of their choice,
> and as I said, I think I would find simply copying and pasting to the
> website and back to be the best way to handle the multi-line comments.
> Maybe a person could do all the multi-line comments as I mentioned
> first, and then come back and do the single line comments later using
> your program. Usually the single line comments are not nearly as
> valuable, and when they state the obvious, I have been known to simply
> delete them.

It seems to me that the method of translation can be left to the person
doing the translation. I just translated a few comments in some of the
code I am working on with Google and it seemed pretty painless. I may
see things differently if I come across a file where most of the
comments are in French. At that point I may give the program Mateusz
wrote a try. I will take on the task of translating the source in
EESchema since I know my way around that code fairly well unless someone
else has already started on it.

Wayne

> BTW, JEdit is what I use to wrote most of my code in.
>
> Dick

<<< snipped >>>