Re: Failed installation

Karl Schmidt wrote:
Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

Please inform your debian package maintainer. I think there may be problems with his/her debian/rules file. In my opinion, he/she should find a way for it to trigger execution of CMake, and if this were to be done, then I don't understand why you should get this error, because the matching (i.e. most current) CMakeLists.txt file would not be looking for internat.

I'm just an old assembly programmer trying to learn how to make these - the guy that has built in the past these is busy with school. I think it is important to keep kicad up-to-date in Debian - lots of other distributions pull from there.

Currently there is a dependency on CMake 2.8.0 for latest revision,

I bumped into that and pulled it in yesterday .. it's in debian testing

Looks like I should figure out how to move from make to cmake -- PIA as I haven't done much with either.

I downloaded the kicad debian source and briefly looked at it. Looks like Richard Burton is still the package maintainer. It also looks like he has done a nice job utilizing CMake, so I made a false assumption yesterday, because I was thrown off track by your report Karl that your debian/rules build was referencing a missing internat directory, and assumed this was because CMakeLists.txt was not in use, and therefore not CMake either. But CMake is in use, and in use nicely. (Maybe you were pulling in an older CMakeLists.txt file, one that did not match the latest source from bzr.)

Karl, I have no idea how or why you were trying to use debian/rules against a newer copy of the source than was part of the original "debian/rules and package source set".

Using CMake is really easy. And I am proud of you for getting 2.8 installed. When building from the bzr repo, don't use debian/rules from an older package.

This makes me think we should just stick with 2.8 of CMake and move forward from here with that. From Jean-Pierre's commit, I think we can assume he feels this way also. Installing CMake 2.8 is not that hard. For a linux distro that does not have 2.8, some folks can do as Karl has done, which is go to a newer repo in the same distribution to find 2.8 Cmake. If not there, then that Linux user can remove the CMake package using your package manager, and then install from the CMake.org website the 2.8.

On Windows it is also not very hard, going to the website.

Issue settled, I think.

Dick