Re: Failed installation

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
Karl Schmidt wrote:
Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
Looks like I should figure out how to move from make to cmake -- PIA as I haven't done much with either.

I downloaded the kicad debian source and briefly looked at it. Looks like Richard Burton is still the package maintainer.

Yes, but Richard wants to find a replacement as he is quite busy in med school.. I wanted (and now
have built :) ) the latest package and I'm trying to figure out if it would be feasible for me to
learn to do the packaging work.

Karl, I have no idea how or why you were trying to use debian/rules against a newer copy of the source than was part of the original "debian/rules and package source set".

I wasn't wanting to use the rules - it is just that doing the build from the >latest< sources from
debian >uses< debian/rules and that was where the it reported the error and commenting it out fixed
it for now.

If you look at the latest debian source you will see the rules file and the line:

cd $(CURDIR)/build/kicad/internat && cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$(CURDIR)/debian/kicad-common/usr
-P cmake_install.cmake

Attempting to move to a non existent directory throws the error. He is using cmake, but I'm still
drinking from a fire hose trying to figure out how this build stuff works (I erroneously thought the
'rules' only used make) and from what you wrote, I thought cmake (via CMakeLists.txt) should take
care of traversing the directories?

This makes me think we should just stick with 2.8 of CMake and move forward from here with that. From Jean-Pierre's commit, I think we can assume he feels this way also. Installing CMake 2.8 is not that hard. For a linux distro that does not have 2.8, some folks can do as Karl has done, which is go to a newer repo in the same distribution to find 2.8 Cmake. If not there, then that Linux user can remove the CMake package using your package manager, and then install from the CMake.org website the 2.8.

Not all distributions make this easy like Debian does... Other distributions probably will need to
pull the sources and build a number of (perhaps 15) custom packages to upgrade.

For the record, it is quite possible to install the 'testing' version of kicad from Debian while
running Debian stable - there is a cascade of other dependencies needed from testing - but it did
not break anything in Debian stable.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Misdirection is the key to being a good magician. Magicians tell
you they are doing something while they do something quite
different; much like politicians -- except we can afford magicians.
-KPS