Re: A few extra component footprins

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Alex G wrote:

I don't use kicad comercially, at least not yet. Eye candy or not, the
truth of the matter is that the 3D view is a unique feature to kicad,
and is not worth neglecting.

Never said to neglect it. I was explaining why I didn't even mess with
the 3d models. I *have* used boxes for interference checking, though.

My instinct would be to find gluPerspective and combine it in a switch
with glOrtho, but I haven't fully digested the way kicad does it. One

That's exactly the way it should be done.

thing I generally hate about C++, is people not using this-> when
accessing members of the current object. It would make things so much
more clear, and it's the reason I'm slow at digesting kicad.

It's not idiomatic in C++ where encapsulation is somewhat strong.
I think you could be the only one proposing said syntax :D (also, there is
one exception: this isn't available/reliable in constructors and
destructors).

Maybe you're coming from an OO model where the this/self pointer is
explicit (like perl, lua and many others). Remember it's from a family
of languages where terseness is valued. CLOS on the other hand has
method completely external to classes (it does inheritance with
polymorphism... sort of:)

OTOH there are many conventions, more or less useful or followed, for
example the m_ for members and g_ for global, it's pretty used in kicad.
I find more difficult to find from what parent a member comes...

Another rationale is: since there should be no global variables (or at
least few of them), you can see the function parameters so everything
that's not a parameter is a member. Too bad there are soooo many
non-static globals in kicad :(

And anyway there is one style for each programmer:D

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl